- Reports To: Director of Communications
- Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
- Salary: Level 3 ($52,676)
- Location: Remote; open to candidates in the U.S., Canada, Germany, Colombia, and United Kingdom
As the Communications Manager, you will contribute to setting the overall communications strategy and develop compelling communications assets for Animal Charity Evaluators. You will help establish brand standards and communications initiatives and maintain ownership of select communications channels.
Key areas of responsibility
Communications Strategy, Planning, and Management
- Contribute to organization-wide communications strategy that will position ACE as a trusted authority and thought leader in the animal advocacy community
- Plan and execute engaging, goal-aligned content including, but not limited to: graphics and data visualizations, program-specific visual aesthetic, campaign collateral, web pages, blog posts, and email campaigns
- Partner with the Director of Communications to assess emerging technology, best practices and to identify areas of opportunity in ACE’s overall communications strategy
- Repurpose ACE’s work products into effective marketing and communications materials, ensuring all materials are up-to-date
- Engage in public-facing communications activities; establish and maintain consistent branding and messaging across all communications initiatives
- Support crisis management – monitor and manage escalated issues, assist in the development of external responses and internal situation recaps
- Engage with relevant stakeholders and key influencers at virtual and in-person events
- Mentor and develop communications fellows and volunteers by offering a supportive and collaborative environment for growth and development
- Coordinate with team members from all competency areas to ensure consistent publication of engaging, mission- and goal-aligned visual and written assets
- Manage the development and execution of ACE’s monthly newsletters
- Social media management: ensure shared content aligns with brand voice and supports ACE’s social media strategy, keep profiles and information up-to-date, moderate comments, manage social media and contact inquiry inboxes, and regularly monitor ACE’s platforms
- Design visual assets such as, but not limited to: website featured images, icon sets, social media shares, slide decks, program-specific badges, fundraising collateral, charts, and graphs
- Ensure data visualizations, graphics, and visual assets are updated regularly, and partner with web developer to identify areas of opportunity for user experience improvements
- Manage projects from ideation to execution, including, but not limited to, stationery (business cards, letterheads, and greeting cards), booklets, annual reports, donor reports, postcards, brochures, white papers, and flyers.
- Interface and maintain relationships with outside vendors; ensure high-quality and cost-effective print production
- Source and vet additional vendors for design-related jobs such as apparel and swag production; ensure print and material quality reflects ACE’s visual standards
Virtual and in-person events
- Assist in the planning, promotion, and execution of online and in-person events, including, but not limited to, webinars, in-person workshops, and seminars
- Create slide decks and visual assets for ACE speaking engagements and events
- Coach and prepare presenters for speaking engagements
- Plan and manage event calendar; identify high-impact events, secure speaking engagements, and see events through to completion
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in journalism, communications, marketing, graphic design, or English, or equivalent work experience
- At least three to five years of dynamic communications experience
- Highly motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment both independently and as part of a team
- Experience working on a remote team
- Ability to creatively implement innovative solutions to everyday tasks
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines at once
- Familiar with and committed to the principles of representation, equity, and inclusion
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong digital media skills and an excellent visual eye
- Understanding of social media and online communities (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram)
- Ability to adapt copy and content to suit the requirements of different platforms
- Experience designing visual materials for both print and web contexts (including text-heavy reports, charts, infographics, and icons)
- Firm understanding of email marketing platforms
- Experience creating and maintaining graphic standards and style guides
- Familiarity with social scheduling, media management, and monitoring tools
- Understanding of online communications analytics and reporting
- Experience using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Premiere Pro, or online design software such as Canva a plus
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Asana
*Please note that while we think that these skills/qualifications are essential to the position, we do not necessarily expect every qualified candidate to have all of them upon entry. ACE supports all staff, including our leadership, in further developing and enhancing their skills. Please apply for the position even if some of these skills/qualifications are growth areas for you.
Commitment to diversity and equal employment opportunities
Animal Charity Evaluators provides equal employment opportunities and highly values diversity. As such, we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and to making an impact. We offer a mission- and employee-focused virtual work environment and a competitive compensation package.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of various socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.
Animal Charity Evaluators is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, creed or religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, body size, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, family status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), ancestry, place of origin, social condition, political belief or activity, conviction of an offense for which a pardon has been granted or in which a record suspension has been ordered, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality. ACE thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Animal Charity Evaluators
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) is a U.S.-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to finding and promoting the most effective ways to help animals. Through evaluating animal charities and researching interventions used to help animals, we aid compassionate givers, professionals, and volunteers in making informed decisions about how to help animals as effectively as possible. We provide career and volunteering recommendations and promote best practices for animal charities. We also award grants to academics and organizations to help them conduct their own research.
The deadline to apply is June 18, 2021.