- Reports to: Director of Communications
- Hours: Part-time (25 hours/week)
- Pay rate: Level 2 ($21.91 per hour)
- Location: Remote; open to candidates in the U.S., Canada, Germany, Colombia, and United Kingdom
As the Copy Editor, you will ensure that the communications we create—both internal and external—are held to the highest standards of grammar, punctuation, spelling, syntax, and style. Your primary responsibilities will include creating compelling communications content, proofreading, editing, and collaborating across competency areas to deliver quality projects on time.
Key areas of responsibility
Communications Strategy, Planning, and Management
- Contribute to organization-wide communications strategy that will position ACE as a trusted authority and thought leader in the animal advocacy community
- Engage in public-facing communications activities; establish and maintain a consistent tone of voice, and suggest edits to improve structure, readability, conciseness, and style of text across all communications initiatives
- Contribute to drafting engaging, goal-aligned content, including but not limited to blog posts, social media, web pages, email campaigns, video scripts, and landing pages
- Manage and maintain ACE style guide and other writing resources
- Engage with relevant stakeholders and key influencers at virtual and in-person events
Digital communications and print marketing
- Copy edit ACE content for syntax, spelling, grammar, and formatting to ensure all public-facing materials are polished for our audiences
- Coach colleagues across areas of competency to improve English writing skills
- Ensure content is accessible to a broad audience of readers, including international audiences and those with varying degrees of familiarity with EA/EAA
- Edit research publications to remove unnecessary jargon
- Rewrite and restructure content that is unclear and indirect
- Ensure that all written work is in accordance with ACE’s style guide
- Check that hyphens, capital letters, optional spellings, etc., are used consistently
- Format in-text citations and footnotes in accordance with ACE’s style guide
- Draft accessible content for ACE’s web pages and blog with an audience-first approach
- Assist in the drafting and scheduling of social media posts for various content types: shared, owned, fundraising, events
ACE Charity Evaluations
- Provide substantive feedback on reviews
- Format and copy edit materials shared with ACE by charities under review
- Create reference lists in APA style for all major works as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- At least two years experience in copy editing
- Highly motivated self-starter who also works well both independently and as part of a team
- Experience working on a remote team
- Capable of handling confidential information
- Familiar with and committed to the principles of representation, equity, and inclusion
- Excellent English editing, writing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to edit in accordance with ACE’s style guide and voice
- Knowledge of APA citation style
- Creative ability to rephrase sentences without changing their meaning
- Familiarity with social media management and scheduling
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Asana
*Please note that while we think that these skills/qualifications are essential to the position, we do not necessarily expect every qualified candidate to have all of them upon entry. ACE supports all staff, including our leadership, in further developing and enhancing their skills. Please apply for the position even if some of these skills/qualifications are growth areas for you.
Commitment to diversity and equal employment opportunities
Animal Charity Evaluators provides equal employment opportunities and highly values diversity. As such, we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and to making an impact. We offer a mission- and employee-focused virtual work environment and a competitive compensation package.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of various socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.
Animal Charity Evaluators is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, creed or religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, body size, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, family status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), ancestry, place of origin, social condition, political belief or activity, conviction of an offense for which a pardon has been granted or in which a record suspension has been ordered, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality. ACE thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Animal Charity Evaluators
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) is a U.S.-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to finding and promoting the most effective ways to help animals. Through evaluating animal charities and researching interventions used to help animals, we aid compassionate givers, professionals, and volunteers in making informed decisions about how to help animals as effectively as possible. We provide career and volunteering recommendations and promote best practices for animal charities. We also award grants to academics and organizations to help them conduct their own research.
The deadline to apply is June 18, 2021.