Executive Director Job Description
- Reports To: ACE board of directors
- Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
- Salary: We expect to offer compensation between $50k–80k (depending on personal need and experience)
- Benefits include: health reimbursement arrangement for insurance premiums (U.S. employees); paid leave and/or holidays; position-related funding for professional development
- Location: Remote; open to candidates in the U.S., Canada, and United Kingdom
We are looking for a new Executive Director to lead Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE). The Executive Director oversees both strategic and operational components of ACE. This position involves strategic planning, leading a 20+ person team, creating and managing an annual budget of $1M+, staying informed on the latest relevant research, building and maintaining connections with leaders in the animal advocacy and effective altruism movements, communicating with key philanthropists, identifying and executing opportunities for growth, and working with the board of directors.
Our passionate team investigates the impact of various strategies for helping animals in order to provide the best possible advice to animal advocates, donors, and charities. This is achieved through the pursuit of relevant research projects, including our annual charity evaluations, and the promotion of our findings to the public. We also work with philanthropists to help them identify high-impact giving opportunities and invest in effective animal charities.
We bring a high level of dedication, compassion, intelligence, and resourcefulness to work every single day. We are an agile and fast-moving organization that shifts rapidly to meet our goals; our team is made up of individuals who thrive in a fast-paced, virtual workplace.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to a thorough understanding of effective ways to help animals. The ideal candidate for this position will have an effectiveness mindset, will have excellent analytic, communication, and management skills, and will bring to ACE a relevant background (in animal advocacy, effective altruism, program evaluation, academic research, or another relevant field) that complements the views of others on our team. We are seeking a leader with a participatory leadership style to ensure optimal empowerment of the ACE team.
Further reading about ACE:
Key areas of responsibility
- Set the direction of the organization, and construct goals in collaboration with each department lead and key staff members
- Correspond with both the staff and the board of directors to solicit their feedback and incorporate appropriate suggestions
- Assess the strategic plan annually to identify necessary changes, and create longer-term strategic plans every three years
- Assess programs regularly to seek out opportunities for increasing impact, including adding, subtracting, or modifying particular initiatives
- Ensure that the mission, vision, and goals adhere to principles of Effective Altruism
Management and Governance
- Oversee ACE’s team of 20+ employees working in the U.S., U.K., and Canada, including five direct reports
- Work with the culture committee to address staff’s needs and concerns, and ensure a strong, positive working culture
- Conduct annual staff evaluations for direct reports, including creating goals and identifying opportunities for further growth
- Review annual charity evaluations and provide guidance on official recommendations
- Support staff development in relevant skills and experience
- Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Hire and retain high-quality staff
- Create annual budget in collaboration with department leads
- Review budget regularly to ensure proper use of funds throughout the year
- Work with Operations staff to ensure compliance with all applicable state, federal, and foreign laws and registrations
- Identify areas of employee needs that are not being met, continually seek to improve internal policies and procedures
- Work with the Philanthropy department to develop and maintain strong relationships with ACE’s key stakeholders, including donors
- Work with the Director of Philanthropy to experiment with innovative ways of encouraging new donors to support effective animal advocacy
- Seek out new ways to communicate our message to donors, including through research studies and internal testing
- Ensure that ACE recommendations result in maximum impact by monitoring and understanding charities’ needs and room for funding
Board of Directors
- Meet with the board regularly to discuss the state of the organization and ensure observance of mission and vision
- Conduct annual strategic planning sessions with the board and update the official plan as needed
- Facilitate communications between the board and staff, providing a mechanism for feedback between both groups
- Create board meeting agendas, co-lead board meetings, and compile reports as needed
- Proactively engage the board with fundraising and other work within the organization
- Seek to provide public resources to facilitate the improvement of animal advocacy work across all animal charities
- Seek additional opportunities for promotion of ACE and ACE’s recommended charities, including advertising and serving as a source to journalists
- Engage in public speaking, attend relevant conferences, network with stakeholders
- Ensure that the ACE brand remains consistent across external communications with advocates, charities, and donors
- Commitment to the mission of Animal Charity Evaluators, which is to find and promote the most effective ways to help the largest number of animals
- Two or more years of management-related professional experience
- Strong critical and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; comfort networking with key stakeholders
- Some experience with the animal advocacy movement
- Some experience with the effective altruism movement
- Openness to topics outside mainstream animal advocacy efforts
- Shared commitment to increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in our movement and organization, actively integrating justice and equity into the work we do
- High degree of professionalism, including discretion in handling confidential information
- Ability to work independently while collaborating with many different parties
- Strong attention to detail, with a commitment to high-quality work
- Commitment to transparency and integrity
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks
- Professional experience in animal advocacy, program evaluation, or a closely related field
- Demonstrated ability to manage a remote team
- Deep understanding of social movements and social change
- Deep understanding of social psychology, economics, program evaluation, or another relevant field
- Extensive public speaking experience and strong public speaking skills
- Strong familiarity with the animal advocacy movement
- Strong familiarity with the effective altruism movement
*Please note that while we think that these skills/qualifications are essential to the position, we do not necessarily expect every qualified candidate to have all of them upon entry. ACE supports all staff, including the executive director, in further developing and enhancing their skills. Please apply for the position even if some of these skills/qualifications are growth areas for you.
Note: We will start reviewing applications on September 21, 2018, and will consider all applications submitted through at least October 5, 2018. This application will be removed from our website once the position has been filled.
Commitment to diversity and equal employment opportunities
Animal Charity Evaluators is an equal opportunity employer, highly values diversity, and is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and to making an impact. We offer a mission- and employee-focused virtual work environment and a competitive compensation package.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of various socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.
Animal Charity Evaluators is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, size, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality. ACE thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Animal Charity Evaluators
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) is a U.S.-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to finding and promoting highly effective opportunities to improve the lives of animals. Through evaluating animal charities and researching interventions used to help animals, we aid compassionate givers, professionals, and volunteers in making informed decisions about how to help animals as effectively as possible. We provide career and volunteering recommendations and promote best practices for animal charities. We also award grants to academics and organizations to help them conduct their own research.