- Position Status: Part-time, Non-Exempt
- Compensation: $16–$20/hr
- Reports to: Director of Communications
- Hours: 20–30 hours per workweek
- Location: Remote; open to candidates in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K.
The Front-End Web Developer position involves a combination of interface design, usability experience research, and technical responsibilities. Working closely with the rest of the Communications team to establish consistent online standards and to create designs/functionality that align with key goals, the Front-End Web Developer manages a variety of tasks to ensure a smooth online experience for ACE audiences.
- Designing and implementing new features and functionality
- Guiding and maintaining the website’s template architecture
- Ensuring high performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the CMS
- Maintaining and improving upon an effective, responsive design
- Testing and troubleshooting technical issues with website and integrated services
- Undertaking regular maintenance including back-ups, security testing, updates, and link scans
- Adding new pages and blog posts and ensuring design consistency
- Testing content structures/designs through usability studies and proposing effective updates
- Managing user access and coordinating with staff about new content, edits, and drafts
- Extensive knowledge of the WordPress CMS and coding best practices
- Experience working with WordPress at a PHP code level (knowledge of existing inbuilt WP functions, custom post types, custom plugins/widgets, template design)
- Experience with PHP 5 beneficial
- Knowledge and experience with web accessibility standards
- Use of jQuery/AJAX a plus
- Experience developing integrations with external APIs a plus
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (Git)
- Strong attention to detail, with a commitment to high quality work
- Highly organized and self-motivated
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity
Animal Charity Evaluators is an equal opportunity employer, highly values diversity and is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and to making an impact. We offer a mission- and employee-focused virtual work environment and a competitive compensation package.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of various socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.
Animal Charity Evaluators is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality. ACE thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Animal Charity Evaluators
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) is a US-based, 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to finding and promoting highly effective opportunities to improve the lives of animals. Through evaluating animal charities and researching interventions used to help animals, we aid compassionate givers, professionals, and volunteers in making informed decisions about how to help animals as effectively as possible. We provide career and volunteering recommendations, and promote best practices for animal charities. We also award grants to academics and organizations to help them conduct their own research.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and résumé / CV to ACE’s Director of Communications, Erika Alonso, at: